Inescapable Destiny

Destiny is predetermined. Oftentimes, no matter what we want, our path has already been chosen. And we must follow fate. 

I stand motionless, listening to the night as I wait. My hand drops to the hilt of my sword, the only movement I've made in hours. A soft whisper of a breeze blows through the trees, but even still, I wait, as silent as possible, in anticipation of my duty.

Sadly, I am the last. The last defender of the night. Everyone else who stood with me has already given up their life in service of our cause. Going into this, I know that I will meet the same end, but knowing does not lessen the chains of duty.

I can hear the sounds of marching feet and of beating drums. They are very close now, yet still, I wait in silence, merely listening. In the back of my mind, I wonder if they are afraid but quickly dismiss the thought. After all, why should they be afraid? An entire army, afraid of me? I'm the one who should be afraid. But, in any case, I will not let fear take me. In moments, I shall fight my last battle. And I will make the world remember the power of the night.

Soundlessly, I draw my sword. The first soldiers of the army are a mere few feet in front of me, yet they still have not noticed me. One with the night as I am, they will not see until it is too late. Gliding forward through the night, my sword falls once, then again, and again. Deep within my ears, I hear a song come to life. A song only I can hear. The shadows' own anthem of war. The final carnage of the night has begun.

From within the night's embrace, my sword falls time and time again until I have lost count. With each enemy death, the song grows louder. Hours pass, my sword drips blood with every thrust, yet they are still coming. The song has reached a deafening roar, and I raise my sword in salute to the night. I know it is time; I can feel the grasp of death reaching out to me. I have done all I can, and I only hope that it was enough.

That was my fate. This I knew, even before that battle. And yet, I chose to accept it rather than try to flee from it. I lived for my duty to the night, and to shirk that duty would've been worse than to die as I did. At least I could take solace in my loyalty. And, in any case, what is there to fear from death? Death is but the key to unlocking the chains of destiny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destitution's Defender

Operatic Death

Phantom Delirium