Huntress

Wind whispers in the forest
Forlorn moon shines through the mist
No sound to be heard
Serenity of the night not meant to endure

In the corner of my eye
A shadow wavers
Afraid as I am, I turn
Only to be met with nothing

Blackness, emptiness, lifelessness
That's all there is
Nothing has changed
So...did I imagine it?

The darkness, the silence
It tricks my mind, my senses
Reality's boundaries no longer clear
Wishing, hoping for this to be but a mere nightmare

A mournful howl
Sounds off in the distance
The moonlight brightens, as if empowered
Even as the shadows darken

Fear clutches at my heart, my soul
Apprehensive I am
This night unnerves me
For something - something just isn't right

An increase in the wind
It dances amongst the shadows
All around me it seems
Is the song of the dark

A chorus of howls
Rises to join the first
Their unearthly melody
Is brought nearer by the second

Just as my fear reaches its peak -
The world falls silent
Not a breath of air
Not a single sound

Holding my breath, I turn
Looking all around for a sign
A sign that this is fake
Or that it will end

Fog further obscures the moon
Behind me, a single shadow
Just a slight movement, and yet
It is enough to stop my heart

As I watch that spot amongst the trees
Eyes - blood red eyes - snap open
Burning right through me
Paralyzing me

Transfixed, I stare,
Horrified, as gleaming fangs
Sharp claws, and torn membrane wings
Turn their fury upon me

Wind returns as a gale
Howls pierce the night once more
Moonlight sharper than ever
All joining in song

Jaws part soundlessly, fangs glint menacingly
A silent scream of terror
Claws flash silver, as if akin to steel
Chilling finality of my end

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destitution's Defender

Operatic Death

Phantom Delirium