Operatic Death

I sigh as I look down the main street of my hometown, empty and devoid of all life. I can't even remember when I left, it feels so long ago. I feel a chill settle over me, and, shaking, I walk farther into town. It's stupid, but I hope I'll find someone else, some other sliver of life. Being alone here, it's unnerving in this poor, ruined town.

As I walk, I sing softly, hoping that even the smallest sound will make this place a bit more alive, a bit less daunting. I peer into every building, yet all I can see is broken walls, sagging doors, and rotted floors. I wish I could enter, yet I don't want to die here. I'm not ready to die.

As I near an intersection with another street, I hear a sound, almost like a keening wail. I sing louder, putting more of myself into the song to mask my fear. I look down the other street as I near it, and it is just as empty as the rest of this town. Yet, as I walk past it, I hear an orchestra join my song.

I spin around, halting in the midst of the street. Looking behind me, all I can see is an indistinct cloud of white mist. As it gets closer, I see it is actually a crowd of ghosts.

I try to scream, yet I find I cannot stop my song. Instead, I find myself running. I feel them pursuing me, the orchestra rising and falling with my unsteady melody.

I stumble as I near a corner, falling towards one of the few solid walls. My song rises uncontrollably as I fall through it. From inside the building, I see the wall perfectly intact.

Somehow, I'm a ghost too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destitution's Defender

Phantom Delirium