Immortal Fallacy

This poem was written as an experiment in mixing two of my previous poems together. Huntress and End of Forever

As I lie dying with my breaths numbered
I look back on eternity,
And wonder if I could've done more
To really have lived heartily

Because there were times when,
Like just before I ran to meet my greatest disgrace,
I didn't truly live
I made grievous mistakes

I kept my nature a secret
Kept my age and experience withheld
From the man I adored
And that cost me him, my love unparalleled

I remember how love shattered in the stillness of the night
A secret learned, beyond my control
So I flee, unable to face him
With the shards of my ancient soul

Wind whispered in the forest
Forlorn moon shone through the mist
No sound to be heard
Serenity of the night ceased to exist

In the corner of my eye a shadow wavered
"Who's there?" - Meeting my call was a soft rustling
Afraid as I was, I turned
Only to be met with nothing

Blackness, emptiness, lifelessness
That's all that could be seen in the forest moonlit
Nothing had changed
So, did I imagine it?

Instead, I thought that
As an immortal
I would have all of time to fix myself
And make up for that which I am remorseful

But now, as I lie dying
I realize my fatal flaw
I didn't live life to the fullest
And from my me purpose was forced to withdraw

I realize what a fool I've been
To lack a mortal's worry
For no one can escape death in the end
Not even one such as me

The darkness, the silence
It tricked my mind, gave me a scare,
Reality's boundaries were no longer clear
I wished, hoped for this to be but a mere nightmare

A mournful howl sounded off in the distance
The moon and stars brightened,
As if empowered by my fear
Even as the shadows darkened

Despair clutched at my heart and soul
Apprehensive I was, alone in the night
The slightest sound unnerved me
For something - something just wasn't right

As I lie dying, remembering millennia
And seeing how brief are what I thought to be
The most important moments of my long life
Shows me how from life I have been absentee

And it makes me think that maybe, just once
I ought to break free of my limits and see a daybreak
Even though it is far too late
To mend my greatest mistake

The wind increased to a shrill, piercing whistle
It danced feverishly amongst the shadows
All around me it seemed was the darkness' opera
Swirling through the trees in dispiriting falsettos

A chorus of howls
Rose to join the first
Their unearthly melody encroached upon me
For my secrecy, I felt I had been cursed

Yet maybe I ought to take a risk,
Take a step into the future, hoping it isn't set in stone
Maybe I could, just this once before it is too late
Learn to fly blind and open myself to the unknown

But, really, what am I thinking?
To even consider ever
Stepping into the unknown - I must be crazy,
Yet I feel I must make this endeavor

Knowing what I was doing
Yet still making that kind of move on a whim,
Why, I must be crazy
Crazy with the love I still feel for him

Just as my fear reached its peak -
The world became soundless
Not a breath of air, not a single sound
As if the forest had been rendered voiceless

Holding my breath, I turned
Looked all around for a sign
A sign that this was fake or that it will end
For to my fate I refused to resign

As I lie dying, it strikes me as odd that
Waiting for my heart to fail
Is the first that life has ever been in my thoughts,
Yet, this revelation is still to no avail

For once I question my choices
And feel that my leniency
Within my own mind
Led to the failure of my secrecy

Yet, in some incomprehensible way,
It seems so obvious that it serves to remind
Me of how simple life should be
That I wonder how I could have been so blind

Fog further obscured the moon
From the darkness, a single shadow tore apart
Just a slight movement, and yet
It was enough to stop my heart

As I watched that spot amongst the trees
Eyes - blood red eyes - snapped open
They burned right through me, paralyzed me
Leaving me with nothing to place any hope in

Transfixed, I stared in horror
As gleaming fangs, sharp claws, and torn membrane wings
Turned their fury upon me, and yet,
All I could feel was regret tugging at my heartstrings

Wind returned as a gale
Howls pierced the night anew, rendering me inert
Moon and stars harsher than ever
All joined in harrowing concert

Jaws parted soundlessly, fangs glinted menacingly
A silent scream of terror as they descend
Claws flashed silver, as if akin to steel
And brought the chilling finality of my end

And now, with Death himself
Looking into my eyes
I fight through the torment,
Of the memories over which I continue to agonize

As I lie dying, I look up to the moon
And, with a smile upon my face
I leave the light, certainty itself, behind
All for a single second of life as I imagine his soft embrace

Love shattered in the stillness of the night,
An immortal and her ordinary lover
Torn apart by her secrecy
And from her death unable to recover

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destitution's Defender

Operatic Death

Phantom Delirium