End of Forever

As I lie dying
My breaths numbered
I look back on eternity,
And wonder if I could've done more
To really have lived
Because there were times when,
When I didn't truly live
Instead, I thought that
As an immortal
I would have all of time
To make up for those times
I didn't live life to the fullest
But now, as I lie dying
I realize what a fool I've been
To have depended on an uncertainty
For no one can escape in the end
Not even one such as me
To remember now, as I lie dying
And see how brief
Are what I thought to be
The most important moments
Of my long life
Is to truly see
Just how trivial, how fleeting
Those moments really were
And to make me think
That maybe, just once
I ought to learn what living feels like
Maybe I ought to take a risk,
Take a step into the dense fog
That clouds the future,
Maybe I could, just this once
Before it is too late
Learn to fly blind
But, really, what am I thinking?
To even consider at all
Stepping into the unknown
Knowing what I was doing
Yet still making that move,
Why, I must be crazy
It strikes me as odd that
As I lie dying
Waiting for my heart to give out
Is the first time
That life has ever been in my thoughts,
The first time that
I have ever questioned my past
Or my choices
Yet, in some incomprehensible way,
It seems so obvious
So simple
That I wonder
How I could have missed it
And now, with Death himself
Looking into my eyes
I spread my wings,
Fighting through the pain
That only grows stronger,
I look to the moon
High above me in the sky,
And, with a smile upon my face
I leave the light, certainty itself, behind
All for a single second of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destitution's Defender

Operatic Death

Phantom Delirium