Fragile

"We're done here." She twisted my wrist sharply as she freed herself and ran to the front door.

"Wait! I'm sorry." I raised my uninjured hand to stop her from leaving. I'd screwed up, I realize that, but I can't lose her.'

She turned back, halfway down the steps, her eyes cold, shockingly unlike her. "Why should I stay? You don't care about me."

"I do! Jenny, I love you!" My voice was so smooth, I wasn't sure if I believed me.

"No, if you loved me, you'd act like it. People don't treat those they love the way you treat me."

I clenched my fists. "You don't understand. I didn't mean to, you mean everything to me."

She shook her head, her eyes slightly softer. "I've already given you three chances. For my sake, I can't give you a fourth. I'm worth more than how you see me, I know that now. I won't let you take that from me again."

"I can do better, I swear."

"No, I'm sorry Mason, but I don't believe you anymore. You say that every time. I hope you get help, hope you become a better person. But I can't be with you. I need to be away from you in order to help myself. I hope someday you understand that."

She walked down the rest of the front steps to the street, her hand on her car door as she looked back at me. "I'm sorry, but this is goodbye."

I stood, frozen, watching her get ready to drive away, trying to think of how to stop her. But I didn't know how.

She looked back through the window, then pointedly looked forwards.

I rubbed my wrist as I watched her go.

Apparently, if you hurt anyone enough, she'll hurt you back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Operatic Death

Destitution's Defender

Phantom Delirium