The Lost Hour

I slammed the door behind me, my feet hitting the icy ground hard in my haste. A choked sob parted my lips as I dug through my purse with shaking hands. I managed to get my keys, yet I fell against the side of my car, my legs no longer trustworthy.

Desperately, I clawed open my car door to collapse in the driver’s seat. Even the pain of bashing my knee against the dashboard was not enough to awaken me from my new world of painful apathy. My eyes registered the dimly glowing time.

8:37 p.m.

Fumbling, I forced the keys in the ignition, slammed my foot to the gas without a thought, and pulled away from his wretched house. My hands beat the wheel, agony mounting with every blow, but I did not know this. The farther I drove, the more the landscape faded away. Tears flooded my vision, and I cared not for my safety.

Streaks of crimson were all I could see where much of my body should be; cobalt and charcoal blended together in the evening sky, all features indistinguishable to my sorrow. I could not discern even a semblance of where I was, nor how long I had been fleeing.

The wheel wrenched in my broken grip, and I had not the strength to fight it. My heart fluttered deep in my chest. It was lighter, even as fear flickered dimly on instinct.

Fate had come for me, and I was happy to surrender. Allowing fate to take the wheel cleared my thoughts, banished my tears.

I was myself again.

9:37 p.m.

The last I saw before I knew no more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destitution's Defender

Operatic Death

Phantom Delirium