Judgement Day

No one can have power without first being influenced.

Her blood red gown billowed behind her as she strode through the silent hall. Dozens of people lined the edges, pushing to get a glimpse, yet were held back by armored guards. As she reached the dais, her foot on the first step, she looked up to the portrait above the throne. Her eyes sparkled sadly as she bowed her head to her mother’s memory.

A moment longer she stood, before ascending the remaining stairs and turning to face the crowd. “My mother was undeserving of her death. She rose this kingdom up from nothing, gave us all a reason to live.”

Hair fell beside her face in long black waves. Her hands shook as her eyes turned to steel. “I killed her. I wanted the respect she had from all you. I wanted to be loved.”

She refused to weep, to show weakness, as she faced the faceless crowd.

No one can lead without first acknowledging one’s faults.

Falling to her knees on the dais, her voice wavered as she removed the black jeweled power from her brow. “I do not deserve this crown. I am far from a good person, and even farther from a good queen.”

Her eyes found another portrait at the end of the hall, her mother’s eyes soft as her gentle smile. The crown clattered down the steps in the silent hall.

In a voice barely more than a whisper, she spoke, “I’m sorry, mother. I love you, and I fear I will be seeing you soon. I cannot bear knowing I have failed you so deeply.”

Her tone became cold, harsh, as she addressed the crowd before her. “Do with me what you will. I will not fight your judgement."

So it fell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destitution's Defender

Operatic Death

Tempestuous Tranquility