Darkfall

The small, crowded space echoed its raucous occupants. Beer, whiskey, and spirits were constantly being tossed back in celebration. Every person in the room held a glass or a bottle.

All but one.

One of the few females in the pub, she sat alone at a table in the corner, watching how carefree everyone else had become. Her brows furrowed as she drummed her fingers lightly against the stained wooden tabletop. Strands of her cropped black hair fell across the tops of her eyes; a hand brushing them did nothing to move them aside.

Her eyes turned forlornly to the empty chair beside her, cast in shadow as it should be. “You should be here, Semira. We won, you know. I remember you said that we would, and I was a fool not to trust in you.”

The wild clamor dulled to a more soft murmur as she continued to speak.

“You saved me, Semira, pulled me back from the darkness I had chosen for myself.” Her voice shook as her vision blurred. “I would not be here today if not for you. You gave me the world.”

A raw, aching wail pierced the now silent pub. “But, why did you give yours for me? I wasn’t worth it, sister, not then, and certainly not now. I know what I promised you all those years ago, but I cannot keep that promise any longer.”

Her chair scraped the ground as she stood. “I changed myself for you, and without you, Semira, kindness is no longer worth the effort.”

Her eyes darkened, fitting for the gaunt cast of her features. “The darkness is all that is left for me now. I’m so sorry, sister.”

A single tear fell. “I can only hope you will forgive me if we ever meet again.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forsaken Rapture

Operatic Death

Destitution's Defender